Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Word Count Wednesday

Happy Wednesday!

What am I working on?

A while ago I had an idea for a novel.  It's basically a YA novel with fantasy, mystery, and historical fiction aspects. The book is called Mary, Queen of Scottsville Academy.  I don't want to give too much of the plot away because it's partly a mystery, and it's something I would eventually like to try to get published, so I'll try to briefly explain it.  Mary Stewart was sixteen years old when she first arrived at Scottsville Academy.  As if starting at a new school as a sophomore wasn't bad enough, it was her first time in America in ten years, and everyone was gossiping about her. Scottsville Academy was a school for the children of America's most elite politicians and leaders.  Elizabeth Todd, the current president's daughter, was the queen of the school, that is, until Mary challenged her for the throne.  Mary faces danger, mystery, and the trials and tribulations of high school. Mary knew she wasn't completely normal, but what she discovers about her true personality, and the events of her past, will change her life forever.  Long live Mary, Queen of Scottsville Academy.

The main character is based on Mary, Queen of Scots(which brings in the historical fiction aspect).  I might post some chapters later on.

Total word count: 5,900
I wrote 1,169 of the 5,900 on Monday.

How do I feel about the process?

I've had my characters and some of the plot and details solidly thought out  for a while, but I had been struggling for months to come up with the main conflict for the novel. On Monday I finally figured it out.  Once I figured that out, I was able to plot out the rest of the novel(I'm a plotter).  I feel like I need to do a little more research, but for the most part I feel like I'm ready to really get into writing it. I think I'll try to get a few chapters done a week.

What am I reading now?

I'm currently reading Three Dark Crowns by Kendare Blake

and various history books about Mary Queen of Scotts and that time period.

3 comments:

  1. The world of teens mixed in with historical themes of England's monarchies is a terrific idea. I'm glad you found the conflict!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds so mind enthralling! Can't wait to read it and watch your progression!

    ReplyDelete