Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Word Count Wednesday--nine

What am I working on?

You know when you're in the middle of writing something and you get an idea for something else and then you can't focus on the thing you should be focusing on? No? Yeah? Well, that lovely occurrence is happening to me. Luckily, I did get some work done on my Mary, Queen of Scots book for the first time in a while, so that's good.  However, I was unfortunately distracted by another idea. I guess it makes it a little better that my other idea is about Queen Elizabeth since she's a character in the Mary book.  The new idea is about Elizabeth the summer after all of the events of this book that I've plotted out have happened. It kind of makes sense that I would have an idea involving Elizabeth because her character is so outspoken and demanding.  The Queens are even feuding for reign of my brain. Makes sense.

Word Count: 1,345

How do I feel about the process?

I'm really excited that Elizabeth has become a formed enough character to be the main character of another novel, but it's also frustrating. I actually have a plot for a sequel to the first book, Mary, Queen of Scottsville Academy, as well as ideas for separate circles of reincarnated teens that are in a way connected to this one.  It just worries me to have so many ideas around the same book, because I don't want to plot out a whole series and then not have it go anywhere. I guess the thing to focus on would be to make sure I create the story for the love of writing it and not solely for the hope of it getting published.  I was worrying earlier this week about spending a bunch of time writing a novel that no one will ever read, but writing isn't a waste of time unless you're really hating doing it. I feel like if I'm enjoying creating something it shouldn't matter so much what the outcome of it is, because in a way that sometimes takes the joy out of it a little.

What am I reading?

Not much right now.  I need to find a new book to be excited about if anyone has any suggestions.

No comments:

Post a Comment